Friday, January 15, 2010

And Now.... Bourbon Street...

How do I describe Bourbon Street? The first thing that comes to mind is "Disneyland for Adults". Bourbon Street is about 10 blocks of a narrow street in the old Spanish and French architecture style and with buildings constructed as long ago as the late 1700's! It is now an exciting and eclectic mixture of antique stores, souvenir shops, bars, restaurants street vendors, hustlers, musicians, and artists. As you walk along your ears are assaulted with the sounds of laughter, every conceivable form of music and people speaking in every language and accent known to man -and everyone is carrying their favorite beverage in a convenient plastic 'to go' cup. Over the years I have walked this street from one end to the other and I don't think there is a store, shop, restaurant or bar I haven't explored at one time or another and yet, every time I return, I manage to find some new and fun experience.
I have put a video on this blog that I made in July of 2005 (exactly one week before Hurricane Katrina Hit New Orleans). I made this video for my Mom. She always wanted to go with me on my trips around the world, but since she couldn't I used to make these little clips to give her a feel for what the places were like. I made this one by simply holding the camera about shoulder height and just walking the length of Bourbon Street. This was about 5 o'clock in the afternoon - buy 9 pm this street easily has double the activity your going to see here. Enjoy:

The Voodoo Museum
There is a little shop just off of Bourbon Street (between Bourbon and Royal Streets) that is a real fun experience, the New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum.The The Voodoo Museum is one of the most unique, and interesting, small museums in the country. Taking all the mysteries, the secrets, the history and folklore of rituals, zombies, of gris-gris, of Voodoo Queens and all that jazz, and putting it all in one place in the heart of the New Orleans French Quarter. The Voodoo Museum is a casual and curious experience intended to preserve the legacy of New Orleans’ Voodoo history and culture while educating and entertaining the visitor. The Voodoo Museum has been a fixture in New Orleans, and is a “must do” for visitors.

No comments: