One of the very first Executive Orders signed by President Obama immediately after being sworn into office was "Ethics Commitments by Executive Branch Personnel" signed on January 21, 2009. In it he requires that no appointee by the Executive Branch shall not be allowed to associate with any activity with which they have had any contact as a lobbyist within the past 2 years.
That is all pretty impressive but when you look at the list of appointments made by President Obama in the days following the signing of this Executive Order it fails the "smell test" . Here are just a few of the appointments to our Administration that got my attention:
- Tom Vilsack, Secretary of Agriculture -Was a registered lobbyist last year for the National Educational Association
- William Lynn, Deputy Defense Secretary - Was a registered lobbyist last year for Raytheon
- William Corr, Deputy Health and Human Services Secretary - Was a registered lobbyist last year for the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
- Mark Patterson, Chief of Staff to the Treasury Secretary - Was a lobbyist last year for Goldman-Sachs
- Cecilia Munoz, White House Director of Intergovernmental Affairs - Was a registered lobbyist last year for the National Council of La Raza
-And please don't tell us how hard that is to do - Just who the hell said being President of the most powerful nation in history would be easy?