Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

You may have figured out by now that I am what is known as an Irish-American. In fact, my middle name is Sean and I went by that name for the first ten years of my life. A few of my very close friends still call me that instead of Gary. Today, I was going to write about Saint Patrick's Day and tell you about all it's history and traditions. I had planned to talk about the 'wearing of the green', 'green beer' and about how shamrocks were used by Saint Patrick to tell the story of the trinity. I was even going to brag about being of Irish descent and maybe even throw in a line or two in Gaelic or at least with a good Irish brogue, just for the effect. I was ready to bring tears to your eyes telling you how I can still hear my dear mothers sweet voice gently singing me to sleep with "Danny Boy" and "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling". I had a short story to tell you about my grandfather, who drank a single shot of Irish Whiskey every night at exactly 8:00 pm - and how one day he offered me my first taste as a sign of passage into manhood --and how handing it to me he smiled and said "Remember, Sean, lad, drinking whiskey comes with responsibility. You have to be careful and know ahead of time that it can lead you to to fight with your neighbor. It can make shoot at the landlord!" ---Then with a sly smile he added under his breath: "- and it can make you miss...."

But then I realized that I was missing the point. What ever Saint Patrick's Day was or how ever it has come to be celebrated, it is now something different and special. This is a day for everyone to be "Irish for a Day" - A day to wear a little green and have a little fun. It is a day of all good things Irish and none of the rest is as important as sharing and friendship and good times.

So, my wish to you is:
Just to kick back, be Irish for a day and Enjoy!

Here is a little Irish Toast my grandfather used to say at Saint Patrick's Day Dinner:

"May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face, The rains fall soft upon your fields, And until we meet again, May the Good Lord hold you In the palm of his hand."
And, it you have time, here is a fun little home video I found on You Tube about "How to Celebrate St Pat's Day Like an Irishman":


Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP

And for you Irish Patriots: Tiocfaidh ar la! Erin Go Bargh!


Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP

No comments: