Sunday, July 18, 2010

General Mattis

Marine Corps General Mattis has been recommended by the Secretary of Defense to replace General Petraeus as the head of Central Command as General Petraeus takes over in Afghanistan.

General Mattis comes with some baggage of his own. Five years ago he got into hot water for making some off color comments about enjoying shooting some people. Below is a You Tube clip of a CNN report in which the General's comments are discussed. You can listen and judge these for yourself.

As for me, I guess you can fit me for a straight jacket because I kind of like the idea of our generals, the men commanding our warriors, to act like, well... like warriors.
What do you think?



```````````````````````````````````````````
Additional Post: "Rome"
I spent most of today watching a recording of the series "Rome" which aired on HBO a couple of seasons. I recently read a blog/discussion about the best war movies. In that blog they were specifically discussing WWII movies such as "Saving Private Ryan". It occurs to me that if they had been discussing movies from other historical events I would have had to nominate this series as one of my top favorites. The acting and script are both very good but it is their attention to historical facts and the details in the production that make this an amazingly entertaining series. They filmed on real locations when possible and built entire sets of ancient Rome, using the same materials and many of the same building methods. Even the clothing for the various costumes was hand spun and hand made. All that attention pays off in a big way. I enjoy watching this as much the 3rd and fourth times (I watch it again about once a year) as much as I did the first time. I would highly recommend it if you ever get a chance to see it - the only problem is that each episode hooks you and makes you want to see the rest, and there are over 16 hours of episodes....



On This Day in History:
1814 Sam Colt Born
1974 Actor Joe Flynn (McHales Navy) dies, age 59

1848 1st W omen's Rights Convention, NY

1965 Shooting begins on Star Trek pilot episode
1984 1st female to captain a 747 across the Atlantic
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP

2 comments:

William A Manning said...

Ooh rah!

You now have a new follower.

Semper Fi

Gary said...

Hey, Welcome Aboard! Also room for a Marine or ten...
Ooh Rah!!

Semper Fi!