Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Good Day to Do Nothing

I don’t know about you but I sometimes get really tired of all the nonsense out there. I mean, there are days when I just feel, if I see one more political ad on television, read about one more accusation or one more dumb stunt by some political wannabe, I think my eyes may start to bleed and my head will explode.

This morning I got up and, following my well rehearsed routine, I dutifully got my morning cup of coffee (Kona, of course) and sat down at my computer to read my emails, check the blogs and skim the morning bulletins. After several minutes, I discovered that I had no idea what I had just read. Nothing was sticking in this old, worn out brain of mine. The words were just passing through and I found myself staring at the same pages over and over. I thought about it for a minute and realized that the reason was simple. All the “headlines” were basically the same as the ones yesterday –and the day before, and the day before. Another hurricane is forming in the Atlantic. Republican “A” has moved ahead of Democrat “A” in the Rasmussen polls. Iran threatens Israel. Some Hollywood starlet gets arrested. There is flooding in Sri Lanka. A basketball player is accused of rape. Honestly, I sometimes just get to the point where I want to scream.

Therefore, I have decided that today is a good day to do nothing. I need to take a day off from all the worlds’ problems. I know, I have an obligation as a superhero and intellectual powerhouse to observe and give my sage advice, possibly save some small part of the world from self-destruction. But not today. Today the world will just have to fend for itself. Sorry, but that is how it is.

I am quite certain that Nancy Pelosi will make some wonderfully dumb comment and Christine O’Donnell will be accused of casting a spell on the IRS. Glenn Beck will undoubtedly uncover another atheist in the cabinet and Lindsey Lohan will test positive for cocaine, again. Some terrorist will blow up something because some politician sneezed at the wrong time. They will just have to do it all without my notice today. I just can’t look at another headline or read another intelligence bulletin. There is something oxymoronic about “Central Intelligence” that I just can’t take today.


However, I do have some advice for you today. It is Sunday. It is a good day to kick back and relax. Let’s both take the day off and watch some football. Let’s make some nice comfort food, find a comfortable chair, pour ourselves a cocktail (or two) and put our feet up. No chores, no work, no worrying. I guarantee the world will still be there tomorrow. The bills will wait, the grass won’t grow too high and the sun will still come up tomorrow morning. The only difference will be that we will be a little fresher and maybe a little more ready to deal with politicians sticking their hands in our pocket books and Druid fundamentalists burning copies of the “Sayings of Confucius” to protest the building of a Hindu Temple on a Buddhist Holy Day.

Relax. The craziness will still be just as crazy tomorrow, I promise. So, my advice today to is “Do Nothing” and be happy.






No comments: