Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sunday Thinking, October 24th

Well, the Europeans have come across one nice side effect of American Foreign Policy. Several countries, including France and Great Britain, have been facing serious problems with their growing deficits and out of control budgets. This year, however, they have discovered that they can reduce their spending on national defense by asking the United States to use our extensive military presence around the world to pick up the slack and ensure their safety. The slight hypocrisy of criticizing us for our "imperialist approach" while at the same time asking for our help defending their interests seems to escape them completely.....

As you get older you have the joy of visiting the doctors office more often. I had to go for a visit this week. My appointment was for 11 am and I arrived around 10:30 am (There are 2 things I really hate, one is being kept waiting and the other is keeping some one else waiting). I signed in and then quietly sat reading my book, listening for my name to be called. It did not happen.  I watched the clock slip past 11:00 am and told myself to be patient, there were people ahead of me who had more serious problems. I watched the time pass 11:30 am and began to become irritated -some one should at least be apologizing and assuring me they will get to me shortly. I watched the clock hit noon and finally spoke up asking a nurse if they had perhaps forgotten me? She called another nurse and a doctor, then said they would be with me shortly, "they were just very busy today". I had made another appointment for 12:30 pm, thinking in my innocence that an hour and a half was plenty of time for the 10 minutes my doctor spends with me at these check ups. A nurse finally came and got me at 12:05 pm and took me to an exam room to wait for the doctor. I told her that I was running out of time and she assured me the doctor was ready to go. At 12:28 pm I was still standing in the room all by myself. I opened the door and walked out. A somewhat stunned nurse began to say something but when she looked into my eyes and saw the expression on my face she had the good sense to just step aside. I simply said "I am out of time" and left. My doctor called me on my cell phone about 10 minutes later and apologized, which was a good idea since I was already making notes to write a very stinging letter to the Medical Centers Director. With our health care going national (thanks Obamacare) I am afraid this is going to become a familiar story. Somehow I don't think I am going to ever get used to going to a clinic and being treated clinically...

Something to brighten my Sunday - it seems that our Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, had a really bad week. The "Daily Caller" reported that they contacted 50 conservative Blue Dog Democrats by phone and e-mail on Tuesday, and received only one response in support of Pelosi. So far as many as 14 Democrat Representatives have openly said that even if she is in a position to run for Speaker of the House again, she would no longer get their support. By the way, have you ever noticed that Nancy is always seen indoors or at night -- never in direct sunlight? -I'm just saying....

On this day in history in 1836 the match is patented and in 1973 the Yom Kippur War ends, with the Israeli Army 65 miles from Cairo and 26 from Damascus




Live Long and Prosper....

No comments: