Saturday, July 16, 2011

Political Observations and Mutterings…

President Obama did something very disappointing this week. He played the “Fear Card” by suggesting that Social Security, Disability and Veteran Benefits recipients may not get their checks next month if the debt ceiling is not raised. That has caused a lot of anxiety in many of my friends who rely on those (small) checks as their sole or primary source of income. That, of course, was his intention. This is really reprehensible for several reasons. First of all, it is simply not true. Before they fail to send out those checks we would stop foreign aid and shut down whole departments of the Federal Government, including things like the Education Department and the National Parks. Second, even if the country goes into default, there is still plenty of revenue to send those checks to the 70 million people who need them to pay for food and rent. Third, scaring people, especially the elderly, just to make a political point is not very “Presidential”. As much as I disagree with many of his policies, he has never done anything I find so inappropriate and underhanded.


I have been asked a lot lately who I will support in the next Presidential election. My answer is: Really? Are you guys kidding? We don’t even know yet who all is running and it is way too early to have done a lot of studying of the main players. 

I can tell you, however, that I know one person I will not support. This may surprise you but Michelle Bachman just made that list. Many of my friends seem to like her and have said some very nice things about her so I was seriously considering her until I found out some interesting things. First, it turns out that the company she likes to brag about starting and running with her husband (and where she gets her "executive experience") is a religious counseling service, not exactly the kind of high pressure corporation she had hinted at. It also turns out that this counseling service claims to be able to “cure homosexuality” through prayer therapy. When her husband was asked last week if he really believed being gay was something that could be prayed away, he said, and I quote: “Barbarians need education and discipline”. –Are you frigging kidding me? Gay people are “barbarians”? No, I am sorry but this family has no place anywhere near the White House. –‘nough said on that.


Not that you asked but here is my humble opinion about raising the Debt Ceiling. Let’s stop the political maneuvering and the ideological mumbo jumbo. The country can not be allowed to go into default --so lets just do it. Cut some of the excessive spending (like $1.6 billion a year in military aid to Pakistan), redefine “wealthy” as those whose income is over a million dollars a year and raise their income tax a couple of points, close some tax loop holes (so General Electric actually pays tax) and raise the darned thing already...


Well, I think I have probably irritated enough people for one blog. I’ll try to push some more buttons tomorrow. So I’ll sign off now and wait for the hate email. Until then, may the Good Lord hold you safe in the palm of his hand….


Live Long and Prosper....

No comments: