Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Blue Angels Still Thrill

The Blue Angels (the US Navy’s Flight Demonstration Team) are performing this weekend up in San Francisco during Fleet Week celebrations. One of our local news stations ran a short piece on the Air Show and ran footage of the Blue Angels flying in their now famous diamond formation. I have been a fan of the Blue Angels my entire life and watching that short clip still gives me a thrill –a “warm fuzzy”, as my friends would say.

The first time I saw the Blue Angels in person, I was a brand new 13 year old Sea Cadet at the Naval Air Station Alameda, in California. When I “reported” for drill (only my second time in uniform and a very raw recruit) we were marched to the air strip and assigned token duties greeting guests and spectators for the Air Show. I was stationed at a barricade near the far end of the landing strip and, as it turned out, it was a perfect position to watch because the Angels passed directly overhead during many of ther maneuvers. They were flying A-4 Skyhawks at the time and I instantly decided I was to become an A-4 pilot.. My eye sight kept me from accomplishing that goal (my eyes were good enough for “reciprocating” aircraft and helicopters, but not jet fighters). But I have never gotten over the thrill of watching the Blue Angels in action and have always loved, admired and respected Naval Aviation and Aviators.

Blue Angels 1946
The United States Navy's Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, popularly known as the Blue Angels, was formed in 1946 and is currently the oldest formal flying aerobatic team. The squadron's six demonstration pilots currently fly the F/A-18 Hornet in more than 70 shows at 34 locations throughout the United States each year, where they still employ many of the same practices and techniques used in their aerial displays in 1946. Since their inception, the "Blues" have flown a variety of different aircraft types for more than 427 million spectators worldwide.

If any of you ever have the chance to see this amazing group perform live, do it. It is a thrilling and wholly entertaining experience. Go Navy!






Weird Laws

Our nation is now over 200 years old and over the course of time the Federal Government, State Governments and local communities have passed thousands of laws. Many of those laws were just plain dumb when they were written. Many more became obsolete, out dated and stupid as time passed. Unfortunately, many of those laws, though not enforced, still remain on the books. I have decided to put some of those in my little blog just to share a good laugh, o a good cry –or even an occasional scream- with you. Here is today’s entry or entries:

In Los Angeles California a man may beat his wife with a leather strap less than 2 inches wide, unless she gives him permission to use a wider one.

In California it is illegal to shoot any kind of a living animal from a moving vehicle –unless the target is a whale.

In Pacific Grove, California molesting butterflies is punishable with a $300 fine.

In Long Beach, California, it is illegal to curse on a mini-golf course.
Live Long and Prosper....

No comments: