Saturday, September 1, 2012

Clint Eastwood at the RNC -Good Stuff


Did you see Clint Eastwood give a short talk at the RNC the other night?  I did, and I really enjoyed it. But not everyone agrees with me. There are those who made the mistake of thinking he should have sounded more polished, more like a politician. They pointed out his rambling style and the breaks in his talk, suggesting that maybe the teleprompter had broken. Well, OK, I concede he did not deliver something that appeared to be a highly rehearsed speech written by professional speech writers. But he did deliver something which was different, refreshing and honest -And I liked it!

In case you were wondering how nasty the election is going to turn for the remaining 2 months, just look how fast the pundits on the left turned their poison pens on poor Clint. I'd like you to read this excerpt that has already appeared on Politico:
"MSNBC pundits said Clint Eastwood’s GOP convention speech Thursday night was a “bizarre” and “embarrassing” “disaster,” and a Fox News reporter wouldn’t even touch it.

But GOP strategist Steve Schmidt was more forgiving of the Hollywood icon’s performance.

“It’s unfortunate that he was out there. I feel bad for him. It was a mistake by the campaign to put him out there,” he said on MSNBC. “He’s an 82-year-old man. We should give him a break.”

Schmidt’s colleagues at the liberal network did exactly the opposite.

“Clint Eastwood was a disaster,” Lawrence O’Donnell said.

“I thought Clint Eastwood was bizarre,” Ed Schultz said. “It was demeaning to the presidency.”

“They did not think he would get up there and erode in front of the whole world like he did. And it was embarrassing,” Rev. Al Sharpton. “I mean you almost wanted to go out there and get him.”

Rachel Maddow said she thought she was hallucinating.

“I left the stage and went and got a cookie because I worried that my blood sugar had dropped so low that I had passed out and that something was happening in my brain that generated this thing that couldn’t possibly be real in the last hour of a Republican Convention nominating somebody,” she said.”

Well, that is only to be expected. These people make a living looking for the dark side on the right (and admittedly there are those who do the same to the left) -and when you listen to what Clint had to say, and realize that it was funny because it was also true, you can understand why they felt the need to strike out so viciously, so fast.

As for me, well, as I said, I liked it and I hope Clint keeps speaking his mind for many, many more years.

Come on, Clint, do it again -'make my day'!





Live Long and Prosper....


No comments: