Sunday, November 25, 2012

JR is gone and will be missed

Larry Hagman, the actor best known for playing JR Ewing on Dallas passed away Friday. The cause was given as complications from throat cancer. Larry brought the character of JR Ewing to life. He was one of those villains you could not help but like, and you even found yourself routing for him sometimes.

I was a big Dallas fan and watched it whenever I got the chance. I always looked forward to finding out who JR was going to cheat out of what next.

Larry Hagman played a number of other roles, including the bumbling astronaut in ‘I Dream of Jeanie’.  A few years ago he played an eccentric Judge in New Orleans in a short lived cop drama.  I did not like the show very much but I watched it every week just to see Larry and find out what outrageous ruling he was going to make next. Back in 1984, when I was living in Dallas, I actually had a ‘JR Ewing for President” pin and wore it proudly (Reagan was running for re-election that year so no one really thought I was voting for JR).

From everything I have read, Larry Hagman was a good decent man with a good, generous heart and a great sense of humor. I’m sure he will be deeply missed by his family and friends. I know he is already missed by one of his fans.

Live Long and Prosper...

No comments: