Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness -My Take....


I went to see Star Trek: Into Darkness last week and I wanted to use my blog today to give you “My Take” on it (as if you asked...).

 I am from the generation that can remember watching the original TV series and being an instant Star Trek fan (later on they started calling us “Trekies").  In all honesty, my love of the series and the movies faded over time. I still enjoyed them, but the farther away from the original concept they grew, the less of a “Trekie” I became. When JJ Abrams brought the last Star Trek movie to the screen, reintroducing the original (albeit younger versions) crew members, I was doubtful he could do it successfully. I am glad to say that I was wrong. The casting, acting and writing were superb. I was instantly transformed into a full “Trekie” once again. Now the next (and hopefully not last) installment has come to life with Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Once again, however, I had my doubts. Could they remain true to the original character personalities? Could they keep the little nods back to the original series? Could the acting resist the temptation to become “hammy” (as happened to William Shatner when he became more of a caricature of Kirk)? I had serious doubts. I was pretty sure I was going to have to make allowances. Once again in the history of mankind, I was wrong. They stayed true –and even improved on the characters. Kirk (Chris Pine) is wilder, more unpredictable, and more likeable. Spock (Zachary Quinto) is even more “Spock” (if that’s possible) and Bones, Sulu and Chekov are, well, great (and my personal favorite is fast becoming Scotty).

I want to tell you about the movie –but there are so many twists and turns that I can hardly say a word without giving something away –and I think you’ll enjoy it more if you don’t know what’s coming.

I will mention the Villain. The one thing I had learned ahead of time is who the villain turns out to be –and I’d have liked it better if I had not known. I will only say –It works. I also found out who was playing the villain, and frankly I could not imagine it. The actor is Benedict Cumberbatch, an English actor who plays a young and modern version of Sherlock Holmes in “Sherlock” a Mystery Masterpiece series on PBS (if you haven’t seen it yet, try –you’ll like it). I really like him, but I just could not imagine him being able to pull off this particular villain (a character very, very well defined by another actor). Och, wrong again! He does a magnificent job!

Star Trek: Into Darkness is a fun roller coaster ride of suspense and action, complete with stellar performances, impressive special effects and a glorious score. If you get a chance –go see it on the big screen with all the sound and visual effects wrapping around you as they are designed to do! You’ll definitely enjoy a good movie experience!




Live Long and Prosper...

No comments: