Friday, October 18, 2013

Full Moon Tonight! Let's talk Werewolf...

First, just what is a "Werewolf"? Well, according to good old Wikipedia (what would I do without that?):
"A werewolf, also known as a lycanthrope (from the Greek λυκάνθρωπος: λύκος, lykos, "wolf", and ἄνθρωπος, anthrōpos, "man"), is a mythological or folkloric human with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf or an anthropomorphic wolf-like creature, either purposely or after being placed under a curse and/or lycanthropic affliction via a bite or scratch from a werewolf, or some other means. This transformation is often associated with the appearance of the full moon, as popularly noted by the medieval chronicler Gervase of Tilbury, and perhaps in earlier times among the ancient Greeks through the writings of Petronius"

When I decided to write this little blog, I was surprised how much information there was about werewolves on the internet. They seem to reached into every culture -even in parts of the world without wolves they have their own versions -like in India where they have "weretigers".

One aspect I found interesting was the fact that, until the 20th century, werewolves were regularly blamed for serial killings. One famous example of this is the case of Peter Stumpp (executed in 1589), a German farmer, and alleged serial killer and cannibal, also known as the Werewolf of Bedburg. -I could not find out how he was executed but I assume it was with some sort of silver weapon...

Want to become a Werewolf?

There is even a site on the web that tells you how to become a Werewolf.... no really. One of the easiest ways is to remove your clothes and put on a belt made of wolf-skin. Another is to drink water from the footprint of a wolf (Native American folklore). Still another simple way is to sleep outdoors on the night of a full moon and let it shine directly on your face. Probably the best known method is to be bitten by a werewolf.

Well, this is all just great fun. We know there are no such things as werewolves -although I have been known to howl at the moon on occasion, especially in pubs with outdoor patios on full moon nights, but that's another story....

As for me, well I limit most of my werewolf experiences these days to watching the 1941 classic "Wolfman" with Lon Chaney, Jr. and Claude Rains, Evelyn Ankers, Ralph Bellamy, Patric Knowles, Béla Lugosi, and Maria Ouspenskaya.




Now it's time for me to sign off and go get a haircut and find my nail cutters - my hair and nails have been growing noticeably since I started writing this, probably just my imagination....

 
Today's Reflection:
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...


Live Long and Prosper...

No comments: