Thursday, February 13, 2014

I wrote a book becuse they said I couldn't...

For several years some of my friends kept telling me I should write a book. Writing has always been a big part of my career, but that was professional writing, things like business letters, instruction manuals, policy statements, regulations and even some copy writing for advertisements.
Writing a book is an entirely different endeavor. It is also a lot more work. I just didn't think I had it in me to do it. And even if I did, what kind of book would I write? A Non-fiction book about politics? Something about an event from history? A mystery novel? I did not have the slightest idea, so I just did not give it much serious thought.

The subject came up again a couple of years ago. I was saying that it felt odd to be retired and not have to go to work every day or have deadlines constantly pending. I was feeling a little bored and needed to find something to do. One of my close friends brought up the idea of a book again. I said the idea was just plain crazy. They agreed and said I couldn't write a book anyway. 
 
That did it. One good way to get me to do anything is to tell me I can't. The next thing I knew, I was outlining a plot….

What came out of all this was my first attempt at writing a fiction story about China trying to take control of the South China Sea. The title of the book is Operation: Avenging Dragon and one thing I learned from writing it is that I am not, nor will ever be, another Hemmingway or Faulkner. Having said that, it’s not a bad story for a first attempt. It’s  interesting, entertaining and the plot is believeable.

I did not delude myself into thinking it would be the next great American novel. I just wanted to tell a story you hadn’t heard a dozen times already and to do it in a book short enough that you could read in hours, not days or weeks.

The story is about a former Naval Intelligence Officer that has an old adversary (a former Russian KGB Agent) who tips him off about a Chinese plan to take control of the entire South China Sea. The Chinese plan is to distract the United States long enough to occupy the uninhabited islands and establish a strong military presence. The distraction would include attacks on ships of the U.S. Pacific Fleet and Cyber attacks on our communications and satellite systems. They also plan on using Electromagnetic Pulse Bombs to disable ships, knockout computer defenses and cause chaos in metropolitan areas.

The story follows the main character as he desperately attempts to uncover the details about the plan and alert the Navy and US Cyber Command in time to avert a world war.
 
It has espionage action, naval battles, cyber warfare, and even involves a quiet farmer in Iowa who becomes a bit of a hero.

I am actually quite proud of this little book, and I think you’d enjoy it too (as long as you can overlook the rough edges of my still developing writing style).

Operation: Avenging Dragon is available in eBook format for download from Amazon.com ( http://amzn.to/11yN82S ) and in paperback from Amazon and many other on-line book dealers.

 
Today's Reflection:
Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as a reality in your own mind.


Live Long and Prosper...

No comments: