Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Big Easy...and my new Murder Mystery

I am in the process of putting the final touches on my new novel, "French Quarter Vendetta". It's a good old fashioned murder mystery set in New Orleans. I can't tell you how much fun I have been having writing it. It's got a little of everything - mysterious deaths, jealousy, betrayal, good food, fun, excitement, -even a little voodoo mixed in for good measure. You'll love the main characters, New Orleans Homicide Detectives James "Gator" McNeal and Alisha Montgomery. They're smart, fun loving -and very good at what they do.

I chose New Orleans as the as the setting because I've spent a lot of time there over the years . I really love it there, especially the "Vieux Carre", or French Quarter. It is a city that takes pride in being a place of fun times, good food and good company. And, for me, it has lived up to that reputation very well. 

-As they say in 'Nawlens:  
"Laissez les bons temps rouler" ("Let the good times roll")

It is also filled to the brim with history, something else that makes the place special for me. I have walked on the river beach where Europeans first landed and founded the city in 1718, examined the barracks where troops from 5 separate countries were billeted at different times, stood on the ramparts where General Andy Jackson's ragtag troops decimated a British Army sent to occupy the great city (an army, by-the-way, which was fresh from defeating Napoleon). I have enjoyed cocktails in a bar which was once the blacksmiths shop where the pirate Jean Lafitte sold his loot. And I have sipped Mint Julips sitting on the deck of a River Boat steaming up and down the Mississippi River.

The food in New Orleans has evolved into a mix of Creole and Cajun and is uniquely good. Something to look forward too. Try the Jambalaya and you'll be hooked -but don't overlook the many other great dishes and foods, like gumbo, crawdads and Muffaletta's.

Oh, and did I mention, the bars are open 24 hours a day in the French Quarter...
It was made for me!

I plan on making it back there, with some good friends in tow, someday. I am not sure when, but perhaps next year. In the meanwhile I have my pictures and many, many fond memories to treasure. If you have not been there, I highly recommend at least one visit (not in the summer, though. It is too hot and humid and that cuts down on the enjoyment).

Here are a few pictures from some of my visits to that "Disneyland for adults".

The Cafe Du Monde

The French Market

Coffee and Beignets -ummmmm

The French Market -a giant swap meet and Farmers market

River Boat Dock on Canal Street

The buildings in the background were originally barracks

Jackson Square

Mississippi Moon

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop

Can you hear me now?...


Carriage ride?

Great architecture

Just a quiet morning
St Louis Cathedral
Andy Jackson Statue in Jackson Square

Street Car -St Charles Street
"French Quarter Vendetta" is set for release Labor Day weekend. I hope y'all enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed creating it.

OK, that's it.. make it a great day!

Live Long and Prosper... (really)


No comments: