Saturday, September 3, 2016

My Mom's Birthday


Mom and me on the way to a Don Ho Concert 11/03
Happy Birthday Mom!

September 3rd, 1927 turned out to be a very special day for me, even though it would be 27 years before I came along. You see, my mother was born that day. So today I am taking some time to remember her and to say thanks (Yes, I still talk to her all the time and hear her answer through my memories).

Mom’s birthday was always easy to remember. Back in my more youthful days we didn’t have the “Monday Holiday Law” and Labor Day was observed on September 3rd (of course, my mom had me convinced they celebrate it to honor all the mothers who spend so many hours in labor bringing people like me into the world).

Mom’s been gone a little over ten years now, but I still think of her as being with me. I still hear her giving me advice or telling me to calm down and take it slow. She was my best friend and closest ally. 


When I look at her picture it only takes a moment for a tear to run down my cheek. That tear is one of both grief and joy. The grief is for me because I don’t have her here with me anymore and the joy is for having been lucky enough to have her all those years and from knowing she is now in a richly deserved better place.

I saw this little poem and decided to share it on this day, for my Mom –and for yours. They are all pretty special people, aren’t they...









Today's Reflection:
Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist invents the parachute.


Live Long and Prosper....

No comments: