Tuesday, December 13, 2016

A Modern Parable

This is just a little Parable my Grand Daddy told me when I was about 9 years old. It has always been a favorite of mine.


There was once a Preacher that lived in a little village along the Mississippi River. He was a good man who looked after his parishioners, worked hard to help anyone in need and kept to the Commandments.

One day a terrible storm came and the mighty river overflowed the levy, flooding the little village.

The Preacher went from house to house gathering his flock and bringing them to the Church which was on ground a little higher than the village.

The water kept rising and rising, until it was lapping at the front door of the Church.

A rescue boat came and they called to the Preacher, “Get in the boat, we’ll take you to safety!”

But the Preacher answered, “No! Take my people to safety. I will remain here in case others are in need of help. God will look after me!”

So, the boat loaded the other people and went on.

A few hours later, the waters had risen and the Preacher had been forced up on the roof of the Church. Another rescue boat came by, they called to the Preacher, “Get in the boat, we’ll take you to safety!”

But again, the Preacher answered, “No! Take my people to safety. I will remain here in case others are in need of help. God will look after me!”

So, the boat went on.

After a few hours more, the Preacher had been forced to the very top of the steeple. A helicopter flew by, they called to the Preacher, “We’ll throw you a line. Grab it and we’ll take you to safety!”

But again, the Preacher answered, “No! Look for my people in distress and take them to safety. God will look after me!”

Well, the Preacher drowned and found himself in front of the Lord Almighty.

God said, “Welcome Preacher. It’s good you are here. But, you look angry. What is the matter?”

And the Preacher answered, “Why didst thou abandoned me, Oh Lord. I have always tried to be a good man, to look after my flock and to obey your Commandments. But you left me to be drowned in the flood.”

The Lord smiled and answered, “You are a good man who has looked after his flock and obeyed my Commandments. But you are wrong! I did not abandon you! I sent you two boats and a helicopter, didn’t I?”



Live Long and Prosper...

No comments: