Friday, December 30, 2016

A New Year’s Eve Tradition



     Last year I decided to stay home on New Year’s Eve and quietly greet the New Year watching the celebrations on TV and listening to Guy Lombardo playing Auld Lang Syne. 

    About 8 o’clock I had just finished setting up a little, personal New Year’s tradition of mine when a friend stopped by to invite me (try to drag me) to a party. I thanked him and firmly declined the kind offer. Just before he left, he noticed my little traditional “setup” and asked what it was.

     The setup he noticed was 2 rock glasses containing a shot and a half each from a bottle of Glenfiddich 18, which was sitting nearby next to a small lit candle.

     I explained that it was just a little thing I started doing every New Year’s Eve many years ago. I set these two drinks out early in the evening and light the candle in remembrance of my friends and family who are no longer here to greet the New Year except in my heart and memory. One glass is for me and the other is for them. I wait until about midnight, then take one of the glasses and salute them with a smile as I remember some good times. 

     I started this little tradition back in the early eighties, remembering a particular friend who had died suddenly and tragically. Over the years the memories of other friends have made themselves part of the tradition as well. Back in those days I almost always spent New Year’s Eve partying in some bar somewhere around the country (New York, New Orleans, Waikiki, Denver, San Francisco….. wherever). Those days I didn’t have the candle, but I still bought two drinks and set them on the bar, waiting until near midnight to make my quiet salute.

    I miss my special friends from the past. The ones no longer with me in person. They are with me in my memories, waiting to give me a smile from time to time (together with a little warm, fuzzy feeling).

    I hope this coming year you will all be happy, safe and successful –and I hope you will take a moment to remember those special friends who are no longer able to share the New Year with you, except to share one of the warm, fuzzy memories.

     So, “Here’s to them, my friend, and here’s to us! May their memories bring us laughter and joy and May we all know the blessings of Peace and Prosperity this coming year!”






Live Long and Prosper...

No comments: