Friday, March 31, 2017

NATIONAL TATER DAY

My “Calendar of National Days” informs me that today is a day to celebrate one of my favorite foods -the potato. I don’t know why I never knew about this day, being a big fan of potatoes, but I’m up for it. In fact, I think all us potato lovers (as in ‘steak and potatoes’…) should take time to give due notice to this wonderful food.

National Tater Day is observed annually on March 31. This day is set aside to celebrate the potato that is loved by almost everyone and provides us with essential vitamins, minerals and fiber.

There are numerous ways to fix and enjoy the potato:

Baked – Boiled – Steamed – Roasted – Mashed – Fried – Grilled – Scalloped – French Fries – Potato Chips
Cottage Fries – Hash Browns – In Stew – In Soup – Potato Salad – Potato Dumplings – Potato Pancakes – Anyway You Like Them!!

This day may have originally had a different meaning. At the beginning of April, there is a celebration of the sweet potato (a Tater Day) in parts of Kentucky. Sweet potatoes are one of the main cash crops in that area. Tater Day started way back in the early 1840s with the trading and selling of sweet potatoes. It is the oldest continuous trade day in the United States.


This may be taking it a little too far....


By-the-way, worldwide, there are more than four thousand potato varieties.

Since the traditional way of celebrating Tater Day is to simply enjoy it in your favorite form (does vodka count, I wonder?), I think we can all celebrate it nicely.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope y’all have a Happy Tater Day! 





Live Long and Prosper...

No comments: