Thursday, April 20, 2017

Jabberwocky


Grandparents are special people. They give us love, understanding and encouragement in a way that we just don't get anywhere else. They have their own special kind of wisdom. My Grandfather was a special man. I loved him and thought he could walk on water if he set his mind to it. Here is a little true story from when I was just a wild kid that needed some guidance once in a while...

When I was about  12 years old there was a kid in class that used to follow me around and repeat every word I said as soon as I said it. I'd see a friend and say "Good morning, Bill." And this kid would immediately say "Good morning, Bill." I would say "We're going to the park." and right away he'd repeat "We're going to the park."

 It was driving me crazy and I didn't know how to handle it.

Well, my Grand-dad happened to be visiting, so when I got home from school, I asked him what to do. I told him I thought the best thing to do was just give the kid a shot in the chops every time he did it until he stopped.

Grand-dad just smiled and said to come see him after supper and after I  finished my homework. Then he told my mom he needed to run an errand and he left.

Later that night I went to see him and he handed me a book with a page marked in it. He said If I memorized the poem he marked and then just said a line from it whenever the kid tried to repeat my words, the kid would not be able to do it and would give up. 

It worked like a charm. That poem, and later the book, became favorites of mine.

Here is that poem:



JABBERWOCKY  
by Lewis Carroll (From Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe





Live Long and Prosper...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brilliant and non violent!