Thursday, July 14, 2011

Holder Caught Lying to Congress

If you have been following my blogs you probably know I am not a fan of our attorney General. I believe him t0 be a political boot lick for the President and incompetent to run any Federal Department. So it will come as no surprise when I take pleasure in reporting that the Attorney General of the United States has been caught lying to Congress.

Last May, Eric Holder testified before House Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa's committee that he only learned about the government's sale of weapons to Mexican drug cartels "in the last few weeks."

But there is a 2009 speech by Holder on the Department of Justice's own website that proves the attorney general was well aware of Operation Gunrunner back in 2009: At the arms trafficking conference in Cuernavaca, Holder not only acknowledged the program, he bragged that he was in the process of expanding it:

"Last week, our administration launched a major new effort to break the backs of the cartels. My department is committing 100 new ATF personnel to the Southwest border in the next 100 days to supplement our ongoing Project Gunrunner, DEA is adding 16 new positions on the border, as well as mobile enforcement teams, and the FBI is creating a new intelligence group focusing on kidnapping and extortion. DHS is making similar commitments, as Secretary Napolitano will detail."

I do not know what Darrell Issa is going to do about this when it is brought to his attention, but I sincerely hope it is swift and decisive. If you or I had told a lie to a Congressional Committee, we would be prosecuted in Federal Court for perjury (just ask a couple of sports stars currently facing that fate). While the Attorney General, the head of our Justice Department, should be held to a much higher standard (I think jail time should be mandatory), the reality of Washington Politics is that I doubt he has that experience to worry about. He may, however, be forced to resign in a cloud of scandal. If that happens, I will at least me happy to see an end of him politically. Justice should be blind –and that means blind to political influence as much as anything else. Eric Holder has lead our Justice Department on one political witch hunt after another ever since he was sworn in. This is a clear opportunity to put a stop to his nonsense. I think Darrell Issa just may be the man to do it. We’ll be watching this story closely. 




Live Long and Prosper....

No comments: