Sunday, August 7, 2011

Things Happen, and We’re Here to Discuss Them

As I sat down this morning to crank out another exciting blog posting (snicker), I was suddenly hit by one of my nefarious ‘monkey brain’ attacks. The following few lines are the pitiful result. It might be a good idea to take your favorite anti-anxiety pill and buckle up before proceeding.

OK, first up is an announcement I am sure was welcomed by the White House because it virtually ensures Barack Obama’s reelection. The Communist Party USA has already seen fit to endorse Barack Obama.

While noting he is disappointed with "some aspects" of the Obama administration's domestic and foreign policy, Sam Webb, chairman of the Communist Party USA, threw his support behind Obama's re-election bid. 

Now if el presidente can bring the Anarchists, Atheists and the “The Rent is Too Damned High” Party on board, he should have the whole thing locked down and won’t even need to campaign. That would spare us all from tons of political advertising and hours of campaign speeches. And it would free Barack to pursue the more import items on his agenda -like golf and basketball.


House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) has got to be one of my favorite Democrats in Congress. I don’t agree with her on just about anything, but she regularly says such ridiculous things that she provides a sorely needed source of comedy relief to Washington. 

Well, she’s at it again. Nancy told a group of liberal bloggers Thursday that she has super-secret plan to combat the GOP’s “hostage-taking” mentality and prevent a repeat of the debt limit debate, during which Republicans got basically everything they wanted by “acting like terrorists”. She said the dynamics of the debt limit fight — where Democrats were forced to accept deep cuts to government programs on the threat of default — will not happen again!

Suffice to say that you won’t see a repetition of what happened last week, taking us to the last minute when they didn’t even have the votes — they didn’t even have the votes — and then saying to us ‘You will be responsible for a default,” Pelosi said in response to a question from TPM.

Pelosi was reluctant to spell out just how she would stave off this situation, however. “I would say that if I were to tell you…it would be defanged,” she said, after being pressed for details. “In terms of what we — how we would approach where they go from here. And that may be a House Democratic position…. Our members were very unhappy about that vote the other day. Very unhappy.

[W]e wouldn’t let our country default,” Pelosi said. “But I’ll say it this way to you. A default is a much more serious consequence than a shutdown of government for a few days….Expect us to be more visible in terms of what we say here and how we mobilize out side to make sure the Republicans know the risk of taking us to the brink." When asked to provide more details. “It’s to make it a completely unacceptable place for the Republicans to go because it will have public consequence.

Before you get too nervous about this, remember that this is the same Nancy Pelosi who famously told reporters during the Health Care debate that “We have to pass the bill so we can see what’s in it.”


I know, I know, that’s enough for today. I’ll stop before your eyes start to bleed. Have a great day and if the ‘good Lord is willing and the creek don’t rise’, I’ll see you tomorrow….

Live Long and Prosper….



3 comments:

Ted Leddy said...

Gary

I am not American so I won't be voting but I imagine if I were I would be the typical conservative democrat type of voter.

I like Obama and think his foreign policy and his war against Al Quadea has been pursued effectively. In spite of the facts he gets so much abuse from the right I sometimes feel like I want to see him re elected just for that.

But in truth the financial crisis is really begining to terrify me. There is a sense that nobody is in control and that the situation is steadily getting worse. Right now I feel like I couldn't vote for Obama again. If America goes into a second recession then the Irish economy will not recover. There is no doubt that his spending spree has contributed to Americas credit grading being down graded. The likes of Pelosi really seems clueless in this regard. I think a lot of independent voters will be thinking along the same lines as me.

Gary said...

Ted,

I am a registered Republican but in all honesty it has never had any influence on how I vote. I vote for the person or the policy I think is best (or the lesser evil). I registered Republican because my Grand dad and my father were Republicans and I've never been inspired enough by the Democrats to change.

I don't like Obama. No, he has not prosecuted the wars properly. We are in a quagmire and we need to either get out or take off the gloves and win them. Anything else wastes lives and money. All he has done is avoid a disaster -and that is something at least.

As for his domestic policies, he spent 2 years thinking he could print money to pay the bills and believing that the Federal Government should be big enough to control everything. He was wrong and the world is paying for it.

Now we are so ideologically divided it's going to be hard to accomplish anything -and having a Presidential election cycle in the middle of all this just makes it even harder to find compromise.

I would like to see a more moderate social agenda and a more conservative fiscal policy but that means compromise -and that requires strong leaders. We have none right now.

From an historical perspective these gridlocks are only broken when one side beats the other enough to gain a substantial majority. The Democrats had that opportunity the first 2 years under Obama and they failed to take effective action.

I do not know how all this will play out. I frankly have not seen a Republican candidate I like -but it is early and who knows what tomorrow will bring. All I know for sure is that it will get better eventually -but it is sure to get worse before that happens.

Gary

Ted Leddy said...

Gary

I think, for the prosecution of the war against Al Quaeda President Obama deserves an A+. I am refering to the use of Special forces and UAV drones to eliminate the leadership and destroy the capability of the organisation.

The war against the Taliban has been less successful but I blame that on nobody. Obama has quadrupled the number of troops there but this has not been enough. Total victory there is impossible. US forces can never outlast local insurgents. Hit them hard, do the best you can and get out.

On the economy, he is impossible to defend. Your analysis is sound.

I wonder, is America no longer willing to tolerate anybody other than a centrist in the Oval Office. Will there never again be another FDR or Ronald Reagan.