Thursday, March 7, 2013

Jeb Bush won’t rule out run for President in 2016

    I was happy to see that former Florida Governor Jeb Bush is doing little to tamp down speculation he is gearing up for a 2016 presidential run.

    In an interview on “The Today Show”, Jeb said, “I won’t [rule it out] but I’m not going to declare today, either.” The next election is “way off into the future. I have a voice. I want to share my beliefs about how the conservative movement and the Republican Party can regain its footing, because we’ve lost our way,” said Mr. Bush, who has a new book out on immigration policy and plans to speak at the influential Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) this month.

    I have always liked Jeb Bush. Of all the Bush family I think Jeb has the potential to make the best President. I was disappointed that he did not run in 2012, but he probably made the right decision. The country was not really ready for another Bush in office right then. But that may change by 2016 –and I’ll bet the country is ready for a real change of Administrations and philosophies by then. Jeb has some great ideas and a more common sense approach to problem solving –plus he successfully reaches across the aisle to get things done (something we very badly need).
 
    An example of things that he has said or done that I personally like is his immigration reform plan. Under Jebs plan there would be guest workers and easier resident status, but there is no automatic road to citizenship. Undocumented aliens could stay and get legal jobs, but they would have to start from scratch to get citizenship -and that would be after all those in the system who followed the rules to come here. Hispanic groups are up in arms about it, but fair is fair. I like the approach. I am not in favor of rounding all these people up and throwing them out, but, at the same time, I do not like making some people follow our long, complicated and expensive road to citizenship while rewarding those who ignored the rules with a shortcut and guarantee.

    I’ll be following Jeb's progress the next 3 years and I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed hoping he runs and that he does not turn into "just another politician".


 
 
Live Long and Prosper....

No comments: