Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I survived my birthday, again

For those of you who were concerned, yes, I survived the anniversary of my birth just fine. I am now officially a year older and am adjusting to the new, older, “me” very well. 
 

[I’m sure the constant twitch in my left eye and arm will go away in a few days; and the urge to grab a 20 year old by the throat and beat the daylights out of him will subside in time.] 

One of my ways of coping with being a year older and closer to finding out the answer to “the ultimate question” is to remember some advice my Grandfather once gave me.

He told me: 


Don’t Worry!

After all, there are only two things to have to worry about –whether you stay well or get sick. 

If you stay well, you have nothing to worry about. 

If you get sick you only have 2 things to worry about –whether you get better or you die. 

If you get better, you have nothing to worry about. 

If you die you only have 2 things to worry about –whether you go to heaven or go to hell. 

If you go to heave you have nothing to worry about. 

If you go to hell –you’ll be so busy shaking hands with your old friends you won’t have time to worry.


Seriously though, getting a year older every once in a while isn’t so bad –everybody seems to do it. And until they come up with a different alternative than the one currently available, I guess we’ll all just have to go on experiencing the joys of getting older -like getting senior discounts and putting up with people telling you how good you look “for your age” (I swear I’m going to smack one of those guys some day).

I used to enjoy talking to myself in the line at Walmart and letting people think I’m a little crazy –but these days they just think I have a Bluetooth ear piece for my cell phone. So now one of the things I like to do is answer people with nonsensical quotes -then watch their faces while they try to figure out what sage wisdom I am imparting to them. 

Well, enough for today –oh, and thanks for all those cards, emails and messages on Twitter and Facebook. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the fact that so many of you wanted to send me reminders that I am a year older. Next year why not save the trouble and just come by a step on my foot or something? (just kidding, I did appreciate it, really)

Have a great day and stay safe. 



Today’s Reflection:
If it’s important I’ll find a way. If it’s not, I’ll find an excuse. 



Live Long and Prosper….

No comments: